Americana Acrylic paint: premium, all-purpose, matte finish & budget friendly!
These acrylic paints deliver superior coverage with a permanent, durable finish.
They are water- based and non-toxic and can be varnished to create various sheens.
They are inter mixable and suitable for use on almost any craft surface.
The colours are highly pigmented with a smooth, creamy consistency and clean up easily with soap and water.
I love how matt the Americana acrylic range is! But if you want to add a glossy finish at the end of project, nothing stops you from adding a layer of gloss varnish (try Liquitex Gloss Medium And Varnish).
These paints dry fast and are so easy to write on so are great for art journalling and crafty projects…
I also love how easy colours are identify as the bottles are see-through and have a colour-coded sticker on the lid.
The small 2 oz size with flip top lid makes them perfect (and safe) to carry in your art bag while travelling 😉
I have brought my favourite colours to the store for you to test out and if they are popular, I’m happy to extend the range!
How to Use Americana Acrylics
- Shake well before using.
- Apply one well-brushed coat using a soft brush or sponge brush.
- Apply multiple coats when using more transparent colours.
- Allow to dry thoroughly before applying additional coats or varnishes.
Tips for Americana Acrylic paints
- Squirt a small amount out of the bottle at a time since acrylics dry so quickly.
- Masking tape applied over already-dried acrylic paint will not damage the existing paint, thus making it easier to produce a hard or sharp edge.
- Glass or high-density plastic makes a great reusable palette because acrylic paints will not cling to them, making clean-up easy.
Typically, the shelf life for most paints is 5-7 years. If kept in a closed container under stable living temperatures, shelf life can be indefinite. Here are a few guidelines to follow to determine if your Americana Acrylics are still good to use:
- If your paints can be re-mixed by shaking or stirring, they are fine to use.
- If the paints can’t be successfully shaken or stirred, they should be discarded and replaced.
- If there are small pieces of dried matter in the paint, you can create a filter by unscrewing the paint cap, placing a small piece of nylon stocking or similar fine-weave, thin fabric over the opening, then putting the cap back on. When you squeeze out the paint, dried matter will stay inside the bottle, and only smooth paint will flow out.
- If there are “strings” in the paint, it is best to discard and replace it.
Dry time can depend on temperature, humidity, thickness of application etc. Americana Acrylics normal dry to touch within 15 minutes or less.
Americana Acrylics can be used on surfaces such as metal, glass, or fabric, as long as you use the proper medium.
To paint on metal or glass, first prime with Multi-Purpose Sealer or mix it directly with the paint.
Mix Fabric Painting Medium with paint for painting on fabric. The painted design should be heat-set with an iron once the paint has cured.
America Acrylic Colour Chart
The making of Americana paint
Watch how the bottles just seem to dance while getting labelled at the end of the video!
Americana Acrylic paint tutorials
1. Paint your own gorgeous inspiration rocks!
It’s so easy, the possibilities are endless and this is a great project to do with your kids!
Use Liquitex Gloss Medium And Varnish to seal and protects your stones at the end…
2. Create acrylic pouring art in minutes!
Mix your paint with Liquitex Pouring Medium and a spray of silicone to create amazing fluid paintings!
I recommend learning more pouring art by watching Anne-Marie explains her basic fluid techniques in this video.
3. Acrylics or… Watercolours?!
Learn how to use Americana Acrylics to create a beautiful watercolour effect!